Alan,what's the story behind the apparent Possession Retcon?

Got questions? He's got answers!
itod47

Alan,what's the story behind the apparent Possession Retcon?

Post by itod47 »

Alan, I was recently re-reading the Excalibur #42-50 story line (my sentimental favorite of all your work.. especially #43), and was wondering: what was the story behind your handling of the Excalibur 'Possession' special?

In #47, you seem to go out of your way to have Roma describe the whole 'Possession' special (which I have to say, was extremely bad) as some sort of mind trick being played on Excalibur by Merlyn.

My questions:

1. Am I right in assuming this was an intentional retcon on your part?

2. If so, was it your idea, and what was the motivation?

If I had to guess what was going on here, I would say: Upon returning to Excalibur, you saw that a really poorly-done special had just been published in which the writer had little respect for, or knowledge of, the Excalibur characters. To make matters worse, the editors were asleep at the wheel and allowed such mistakes thru the cracks as the appearance of the deceased Emma Collins, a poor characterization of Meggan, and the misrepresentation of the computer beneath Braddock Manor.

Am I close?

If so... considering the Possession special was just some peripheral publication that many readers were sure to have missed, why did you feel it was important to address this retcon so directly?

Or was this not a retcon at all? Was this special planned from the start as a mind trick to be revealed later?

P.S. This is my first post here... I'm a huge fan of your work. Truly brilliant stuff. Thanks for everything!
DungeonmasterJim

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

I'm not sure I want to remember this story but was that the god awful one-shot where the warwolves meld into one being forming a gateway I guess to Mojoworld? I really can't recall much else other than that it was a terrible comic through and through.

Jim
itod47

Post by itod47 »

Jim, ITA. That's what makes me so curious. Again, considering that this story appeared in a special that many readers were sure to miss, I'm wondering why Alan even bothered addressing it. I was thinking it was because the posession special was **SO** bad that Alan felt like he just couldn't let it go un-addressed. Hopefully Alan can provide the inside story.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Perhaps 'many readers' missed the offending publication but this was back in the days when continuity mattered so the story had to be addressed-- And I thought that my resolution to the clearly blatant contradictions of character and continuity in the Special played into the story arc I had proposed, prior to seeing the special, so wasn't too major a deviation.

Alan
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

This is the first I'm hearing of the Possession comic. But then, I tend to stay away from any Excalibur comic in which Alan isn't involved.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Paulo Pereira wrote:This is the first I'm hearing of the Possession comic. But then, I tend to stay away from any Excalibur comic in which Alan isn't involved.
You are very wise. :) The Warren Ellis issues weren't that bad though.
~Matt
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Could be, but it's just not the same if Alan doesn't draw and/or write it (also, judging by Transmetropolitan and his Thor run, Ellis strikes me as a bit too cynical for Excalibur). The Excalibur run that Alan wrote and penciled is one of my favorite things ever (I wish it could be collected), in any medium (it approaches Lord of the Rings for me, no exaggeration). I guess I've been spoiled.